Full Time Water Treatment Plant Operator
SUMMARY: Performs routine semi-skilled work in the operation of the 1.6 MGD Wilderness Water Treatment facility in Locust Grove, Va; does related work as required.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily and in accordance with Federal, State, and Local regulations. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Other duties may also be assigned.
- Oversees the proper functioning of pumps, motors, instrumentation, filters and chemical feeders.
- Maintains operational parameters as specified by the Operations Manager and senior operators.
- Checks equipment and records data.
- Monitors recording equipment and determines usage or flow.
- Collects samples from designated points.
- Performs routine physical and chemical analyses, records results or takes samples to the lab for more extensive analysis.
- Makes adjustments to operating equipment and notifies superiors of need for repair work.
- Keeps chemical supplies stocked.
- Keeps basins free from foreign matter.
- Removes debris and ice from the intake structure.
- Performs general housekeeping duties which include but are not limited to floor maintenance, washing windows, painting, mowing grass, trimming hedges, containing weeds, and cleaning equipment.
- Plans and conducts testing and sampling in the field according to regulatory requirements.
Education and/or Experience: Any combination of education and experience equivalent to a High School diploma or General Education Degree (GED) is required.
Certificates, Licenses and Registrations: Possession of a valid and appropriate driver's license. Must obtain within 6 months of employment a valid Class II Waterworks Operator License from the State of Virginia Board of Certification of Water and Wastewater Works.
Language Skills: Ability to read and comprehend. Ability to speak and communicate effectively using correct English.
Other Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs. Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed written or oral instructions. Ability to deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations.
PHYSICAL AND ENVIRONMENTAL CHARACTERISTICS:
Required Physical Activities: Requires moderate physical effort working regularly with light weight materials and occasionally with heavy weight materials (over 60 pounds) including but not limited to walking, talking, climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, bending, crouching, lifting, hoisted, pushing and pulling. Must be able to wear a self-contained breathing apparatus which may be necessary in the event of a chlorine gas leak or entry into confined space.
Vision Requirements: Minimum requirements set by the Division of Motor Vehicles.
Environmental Conditions: Work is conducted outdoors under variable weather conditions. Frequently works near moving mechanical parts and is occasionally exposed to noise, wet and/or humid conditions, fumes or airborne particles, vibration, risk of electrical shock and toxic or caustic chemicals.
EQUIPMENT ESSENTIAL TO DO THE JOB: Basic hand tools, diagnostic tools, calculator, computer, printers, copiers, analytical laboratory equipment, and other facility-specific equipment and chemicals.
COMPENSATION: Salary will be based on experience and level of licensure. Rapidan Service Authority also offers a comprehensive benefits package.
Please email application and/or resume to email@example.com
NOTE: This classification specification is not intended to be all-inclusive. An employee will also perform other reasonably-related job responsibilities as assigned and required by management. Rapidan Service Authority reserves the right to revise or change job duties as the need arises. Moreover, management reserves the right to change job descriptions, job duties or working schedules based on their duty to accommodate individuals with disabilities. This classification specification does not constitute a written contract of employment.